[TriLUG] TriLUG Digest, Vol 2801, Issue 1

Charles Fischer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Apr 17 21:16:52 EDT 2016

Answer to your second question.  Nothing to do with Linux, but it does have
to do with open source.  Projects like OpenEMR are handicapped by overly
burdensome government regulations.  In this case it is CMS (aka Medicare
for all practical purposes) requiring absurd functionality in electronic
health/medical record systems.  Part of the reason for
the burdensome regulations is that closed source software companies had a
seat at the table when the regulations were written (pray to Google about
Epic CEO and CMS for more information) and open source, as usual did not.
A twist on the fox guarding the hen house saying is appropriate here: The
fox designed the hen house.  We see the same thing with the FCC and
wireless restrictions and lets not even start on DCMA.

If I went too far with asking people to sign the petition, I am sorry.  The
petition is asking for some of the overly burdensome regulation to be
stopped.  Because of space limits at the We the People web site, I did not
go into what should replace the current regulations.  If I did, I would
have spoken about the need to build a data sharing infrastructure that was
open to all types of computing.

Again, if the link to open source is too tenuous, I apologize,
Charles Fischer