[TriLUG] OT Keyboards

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun May 29 14:36:49 EDT 2016

On Sun, 29 May 2016 17:44:23 +0000
Keith Woodie via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Any recommendations on keyboards? Tired of buying cheap ones that
> wear out in no time.

I'd recommend circa 2001 Compaq keyboards. You can still get them at
garage sales for $3.00. You can convert the old PS/2 connector to USB
with an adapter.

The old Compaqs have a tactile feel somewhat like the old IBM
Clickety-Clacks, but without the extreme pressure that eventually tires
your hands and wrists. The only reason my Compaq keyboards wear out is
because I eat at my desk. If I didn't, they'd probably last 7 years
apiece.

Right now I'm typing on an almost-new Logitech K120. What a piece of
garbage. The tactile feel is so mufty you need to slam those keys down
to make sure you hit the key. Even so, some keys often don't register
unless you slam the hell out of them. You just reminded me I have to
take a photo of my old Compaq, remove all its keys and wash them in Dr.
Bronner's soap, vacuum the daylights out of the keyboard body, dry the
keys and put the whole thing back together. This Logitech is silly.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21