[TriLUG] Upgrade Debian 7 to 8

Aaron Schrab via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 8 17:07:44 EDT 2016

At 15:49 -0400 08 Sep 2016, Grawburg via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>I understand I can, with care, upgrade my Debian 7 to 8 (Jessie)
>without a totally new install. My question is simple: Am I asking for
>trouble doing it this way instead of doing a fresh install on a new HD?

I've upgraded Debian systems a number of times without issues. Although
I haven't done this specific update, I chose to replace most of my older
systems for other reasons.

I've seen a number of people on the debian-devel mailing list who say
they have systems which were originally installed with truly ancient
versions and have been incrementally upgraded to the latest release.