[TriLUG] ATT fiber installed and gateway/routing problem

Christopher Merrill via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Dec 3 19:19:04 EST 2016

Looks like Scott and I are on the same schedule :)

I had the install yesterday. The tech was considerably more knowledgeable
than I have come to expect from utilities. There were a few things I wanted
done in specific ways and he was very accommodating. To the point that I
called his supervisor to mention the good service.

Using the Google Fiber speed test, I got results similar to Scotts. And
~15ms latency to major datacenters (AWS, Facebook).

Unfortunately, I've also experienced unhappiness with the provided
gateway/router - 5268AC. Note that I previously had UVerse with their
gateway in place. Like many of us, I run a server at home (Synology
Diskstation). Our family uses this for music, photos, notes and some email.
After duplicating my previous setup, almost everything works well. There
are bunch of ports routed though to the Diskstation to support these
services.

Here is the problem I've run into: connections to the public IP from inside
the network are refused. I've tested this from several Android devices as
well as from Windows. Summary of symptoms:
1) If I connect to the Diskstation directly (the local IP or internal
hostname) from inside the network (wired or wireless), everything works
2) If I connect to the Diskstation via the external/WAN/public IP from
outside the network, everything works
3) If I attempt to connect to the Diskstation via the external/WAN/public
IP from outside the network, all connections are refused

#3 was not the case previously. I've searched through the settings on
the 5268AC and don't see anything that seems like it would control this. Is
there a specific term I should be looking for?

If you have any ideas on how to remedy this, I'd love to hear them :)

Chris

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-845-7601 x701                       |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services