[TriLUG] Display adapter and cable to monitor

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Feb 2 11:30:47 EST 2017

"I had an analogous problem..."

Surely you mean a digital problem?

Brian, if you can't use DisplayPort on both ends, you need to either plug
in 2 HDMI if your adapter has 2 or 1 HDMI and 1 DVI->HDMI cable the same
monitor.

I have a handful of DVI->HDMI cables laying around, if you need one.
Intrex also sells them cheap.

DVI and HDMI (older versions) are signal compatible.  DisplayPort is a
different animal entirely.  There are "active" adapters that convert
DisplayPort to other protocols (VGA, Dual-Link DVI, etc.)  but I've never
seen anything that goes *from* the older protocols to DisplayPort.

-Wes

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."