[TriLUG] DIG and Nameservers

Aaron Joyner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 17 16:35:32 EST 2017

First, don't trust whois.  You're on the right track using dig.  Try "dig
+trace rentalventures.com" to see how a standard resolver walks the set of
NS authority records from the root nameservers down to the domain in
question.

When I make the same query against ns0.directnic.com. I get this answer:
$ dig +noall +answer -t any rentalventures.com @ns0.directnic.com.
rentalventures.com. 86400 IN SOA ns0.directnic.com.
hostmaster.ns0.directnic.com. 1320151988 28800 14400 604800 86400
rentalventures.com. 86400 IN NS ns0.directnic.com.
rentalventures.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.directnic.com.
rentalventures.com. 86400 IN MX 5 mx1.emailsrvr.com.
rentalventures.com. 86400 IN MX 25 mx2.emailsrvr.com.

Note the TTLs of 86400 (1 day).  That's why, for example, if I ask Google
Public DNS, I don't yet see the additional MX record.
$ dig +noall +answer -t any rentalventures.com @8.8.8.8
rentalventures.com. 73853 IN SOA ns0.directnic.com.
hostmaster.ns0.directnic.com. 1320151988 28800 14400 604800 86400
rentalventures.com. 73853 IN MX 10 mx1.emailsrvr.com.
rentalventures.com. 73853 IN NS ns0.directnic.com.
rentalventures.com. 73853 IN NS ns1.directnic.com.

Also note that directnic doesn't seem to update the serial in the SOA, as
evidenced by the older response in Google Public DNS with one MX record,
but with the same serial... but that's their business.  It's not strictly
required to advance the serial unless you're expecting to use BIND's
master/slave functionality.

Now onto the meat of your question, what are you doing wrong?  Why don't
you see the TXT SPF record?  You seem to be missing that DNS is strictly
hierarchical.  You've added an SPF record  for rentalventures.com, but
please forgive my intentionally misleading statement.  What you've actually
done is add a name (a resource record) of the type TXT at the subdomain
_spf in the rentalventures.com subdomain.  You then tried to ask for "any"
record matching the naked rentalventures.com subdomain.  Naturally, this
does not include any subdomains, such as www.rentalventures.com, or _
spf.rentalventures.com.

To get the answer you're looking for, you must ask a slightly different
question:
$ dig +noall +answer -t any _spf.rentalventures.com @ns0.directnic.com.
_spf.rentalventures.com. 86400 IN TXT "v=spf1 mx ptr ~all"

Note that 86400 TTL again.  Caching resolvers will keep that record for 1
day*, and continue to serve the old response until the cache expires.
Remember to ask @ns0.directnic.com to see the latest and greatest answer
which the Internet will gradually converge on over the next day.

Happy resolving!
Aaron S. Joyner

* - Depending on your definition of "1 day" that might be modulo a second,
near the boundary of a leap second.