[TriLUG] Improvements for my church's network

Steven Tardy via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Apr 19 19:08:29 EDT 2017

> On Apr 19, 2017, at 5:55 PM, James Jones via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>
> So link aggregation has no use for a single pipe user?

Aside from geek-factor and nerd-points, not much IMO.

Proposed Topology:
  Streaming PC
  | | multiple wires
  Switch
  | single wire
  ISP router

As some who troubleshoots "slow performance" at $dayjob, K.I.S.S. Having multiple wires from the streaming PC to that switch won't make an appreciable difference on single TCP flow (video streaming) performance.

Tweaking OS/application to "open-up" the TCP window size or QoS preventing other things from getting-in-the-way/buffering would do more than NIC teaming.

Also most think QoS means "make things go faster", but in fact all QoS can do is make other things go slower.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if you have additional questions.